Monday, December 1, 2014

Stampeders break Grey Cup during victory celebration (PHOTO)

The Calgary Stampeders were so pumped up after winning the Grey Cup, they broke the trophy.

As Calgary linebacker Juwan Simpson hoisted the Grey Cup above his head to celebrate Calgary’s 20-16 victory over Hamilton on Sunday night, the cup section of the trophy started to split from its base.



“I think I’m the one that did it,” said Simpson. “I don’t know. I grabbed it and was excited, and all of a sudden it got a little (loose). Some glue and some duct tape and it’ll be good.

“I don’t know if I was holding it (when it broke) or I was holding it before it went off, but I felt it weaken in my hands — and I politely gave it to somebody else.”

Simpson said he hopes the CFL does not send him a bill for the mishap.

“But I got me a Grey Cup check,” he said. “In a worst-case scenario, I can pay for it.”

It’s the sixth time the CFL championship trophy has reportedly been broken during Grey Cup celebrations.

But, like he said, a little glue and duct tape, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Fits in carry-on easier! But, he got him a check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a professional sport right? Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete