Saturday, November 14, 2015

Bill Belichick compares Rob Gronkowski to Giants great Mark Bavaro 

When it comes to the highest accolades any New York Giants fans can muster the name Mark Bavaro always seems to enter the equation.

On Friday, Patriots coach Bill Belichick invoked the name of the Giants great when comparing Rob Gronkowski's blocking ability to one of the toughest tight ends ever.

Photo by Tony Mangia
“Yeah, he’s one of the best blockers,” Belichick said of Gronk. “I mean, I’ll put him there with Bavaro in terms of the guys I’ve coached. I mean, it’d be hard for me to put anybody past Bavaro just because of the number of times he blocked Reggie White with no help.”

Belichick is very familiar with both of the tight ends. He was a defensive coach with the Giants from 1979-90 and saw Bavaro battle the likes of Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks.

“I mean, those were as competitive matchups and practices I’ve ever seen,” Belichick said. “I mean, it was awesome to watch players of that level compete the way they competed. All three of those guys were just tremendous football players. So, I have a lot of accolades for Rob and his blocking. I’m just saying it’s hard for me to put anybody past Bavaro based on Reggie White, Banks and Taylor.”



High praise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment